Climates: a friendly network where people help each other tackle climate change. Meet new mates, get ideas for simple and effective things to do. Pledge to take action and watch your carbon savings grow.

Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

4 Natural Cleaning Recipes

A few easy and inexpensive natural cleaning recipes to use around the house this spring.

Tile Grout Cleaner– Mix 1 part water and 3 parts baking soda mixed into a paste. Apply to grout and let sit, scrub with toothbrush, remove with sponge.

Cookware– Use sea salt or course salt mixed with a little lemon juice and scrub. Also, try baking soda and water made into a paste.

Fabric Softener– Mix 1 part vinegar, and 2 parts water together. Use 1/4 to 1/3 cup during the final rinse cycle.

Toilet Cleaner- Use undiluted white vinegar, pour around the top of the toilet bowl, scrub until clean.

Find the full details and other great natural cleaning recipes and ideas here

Anybody got any natural home cleaning products they'd like to share?

To remove rust stains from a toilet, bath etc.
Scrub with a mix of dish washing liquid (fairy or whatever) and white vinegar.  
I've used this on a water stained toilet bowl and after about 10 mins of scrubbing the stains were gone and the bowl was like new.

Great tips, thank you. I use lemon juice as a general rule in the bathroom. The acid counteracts the alkaline of the soap deposits and leaves a lovely scent. I either use it poured onto a cloth or any spray nozzled bottle I can find. 

Bicarbonate of soda is good in the kitchen where it works well against grease.